Part of the role of Council's Economic Development Officer is focussing on Youth Development. Some initiatives undertaken as part of Youth Development in the district include:
- Establishment of a Youth Centre "The Joint" in Ballantyne St, Wudinna (currently closed)
- Annual involvement in and support for Youth Week activities
- Attracting annual 'Rural Youth' grant funding through the Department of Family & Youth Affairs
- Advising of other funding, youth & leadership development available
- Maintaining close liaison with local schools and youth representatives on issues such as youth development and leadership programs
- Involvement of youth and young people in community planning
Getting Out is a joint initiative of the Eyre Regional Health Service, Lower Eyre Health Service, Eastern Eyre Health and Aged Care, Mid-West Health Service and the Department of Education and Children's Services through Futures Connect Strategy in the Eyre Peninsula. It is aimed at enhancing the capacity of young people to make an educated transition to independent living through raising awareness of careers, education, employment, accommodation, transport, budgeting, safe partying, stress management, physical activity and socialising - as well as heaps of other info! In consultation with young people this website has been created which provides up to date information on a variety of issues related to becoming independent. If you are moving out or just moved out of home, make sure you have a look at the website by clicking on the "Getting Out" link.