Building & Construction

What needs approval?

The Development Act advises that no development can be undertaken unless it has the approval of the relevant planning authority, which in most cases is Council. This means that any construction, alteration, addition to or demolition of a building or structure, a change in the current use of the land, or anything which modifies a designated heritage item constitutes development and therefore requires formal Development Approval.

Certain minor activities or building work are excluded by Regulation from this definition and are thereby exempt from the need to seek approval. In these instances you should always contact Council's Manager Environmental Services first to clarify the position.

Development Application / Lodgement

A development application form is available from Council's Manager Environmental Services. You can also download a copy of the form here. This needs to be completed and lodged with Council for approval.

Supporting documents

Various supporting documents need to be lodged with your Development Application. The type of information required depends on the type of development:

Alterations and/or additions to any building or structure

Three copies of each of the following:
  • Plan details of work to be done showing adjacent rooms, windows and doors
  • Engineers calculations where necessary
  • Site Plan showing all existing buildings, large trees, septic tank, stormwater drains and driveways
  • Specifications of work to be done

Garages, Sheds, Carports, Verandahs, etc

Three copies of each of the following:
  • Standard specification sheets from the manufacturer of the garage carport etc
  • Plans are to include floor plan, elevations (2) and section drawings - scale 1:100
  • Site Plan showing all existing buildings, large trees, driveways, stormwater drains and septic tank locations - scale 1:500

Houses and Flats

Three copies of each of the following:
  • Building Specification Book or loose sheets
  • Plants (by draughtsperson or similar)
  • Soil Report (if required by the Building Surveyor)
  • Footings Specifications and layout plan in accordance with Australian Standard AS 28700 (Residential Slabs and Footings)
  • Site Plan showing all existing buildings, large trees, driveways, septic tank and stormwater drains - scale 1:500
  • Copy of Housing Indemnity Insurance policy form (if building work is subject to a contract)
  • Copy of the approved septic tank installation plan as approved by SA Health Commission

Waste Control Systems (Septic Tanks, Aerobics & Other Specialised Systems)

For the protection of public health and to ensure the correct operation and maintenance of the system, Council approval is required before any system is installed or altered.

Application forms can be downloaded here:
Application for an On-Site WasteWater Works Approval

The application fees are shown below in Council's Schedule of Fees and Charges.

A decision on an application can normally be provided within five working days of it being received if all required information has been provided with the application. While all septic tanks in Wudinna must be connected to the Council's Community Wastewater Management Scheme, where it is available, Council has a policy that aerobic and some other specialised systems, which provide sub-surface irrigation of gardens, can be installed for water conservation purposes.

For further information on any of the above please contact the Manager Environmental Services.

Further Information

For further information regarding the supporting documents required contact Council's Manager Environmental  Services.

Fees and Charges

The Development Services Officer will advise of the fees and charges payable, however if you wish to view a list of the Fees and Charges - click here.The fees and charges are payable upon lodgement of the Development or Waste Control System application.

Construction Industry Training Levy

The Construction Industry Training Board Levy applies to development costing more than $15,000, and is paid directly by the applicant to the CITB. An endorsed Council copy (yellow) of the application must be returned to Council by the applicant (Application forms are available at the Council Office).

Payment of the Construction Industry Training Levy can be made online here.

Who makes the decision and when?

Either the Council or the Development Assessment Commission is the 'relevant authority' charged with the responsibility of assessing and issuing approvals. The Commission is the authority in the following circumstances:

  • where the development is to be undertaken by Council itself in certain circumstances, or
  • it is classed in the Regulations as being of State significance, or
  • where a Council has requested the Minister to declare the Commission to act as the authority.

There are set time limits within which decisions need to be made. Applications for routine developments can generally be dealt with in a short period of time, and in any case within 8 weeks of lodgement (2 weeks for complying developments). Where an application has to be referred to a Government Agency, the time limit is extended to 14 weeks; for land division proposals, the period is extended to 14 weeks; for land division proposals, the period is 12 weeks.

Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms are an important part of ensuring your family's safety in the event of a house fire. All dwellings are now required to have smoke alarms.
The type of smoke alarms that you need depends on when you first owned your home:


Smoke Alarm required

Home owned before 1 February 1998

Replaceable battery powered

Home purchased on or after 1 February 1998

(to be fitted within 6 months of date of purchase) 240volt mains powered OR 10 year life non-replaceable, non-removable permanently connected battery powered

Home built on or after 1 January 1995

240volt mains powered (required by the Building Code of Australia)

For assistance regarding the correct placement of smoke alarms, contact Council's Development Services Manager.

Development Plan

The Development Plan is available by downloading it here or for perusal at the Council Office. A copy can also be downloaded from or the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure websites.

Your Home

Your Homeis a suite of consumer and technical guide materials and tools developed to encourage the design, construction or renovation of homes to be comfortable, healthy and more environmentally sustainable.